I’m sorry, did you think this was my dog, simply because I take pictures
of him looking adorable and post them on Facebook? Or because I drive two
thousand miles on vacation so I can take him with me, rather than board him in
a cold, metal cage where he’ll be deprived of love and kindness for hours at a
stretch? Or because I call his little stump of a tail “the nubbin of love”?
Well, you’re wrong. He’s not my dog; he’s a foster
dog! I—out of the goodness of my heart—took this poor mutt home from a shelter,
where he’d been languishing for 24 hours, fully intending to place him in a
loving home one day. And that day is today, and you could be the lucky
owner!
After two years of painstaking research, I’ve
determined that you are the future
owner of this dog, formerly known as T.J., now known as Toby. But you can call
him whatever you want, because he’s yours! You can call him Lampshade, for all
I care, as long as you take him, his leash, his other leash, his five to seven
stuffed toys, his various water bowls, his upstairs bed, his downstairs bed,
his epilepsy medicine, his antidepressant, his Benadryl for car trips, his rain
coat, his winter coat, and … most important of all, his black-light urine
detector.
That’s right, folks, this dog pees a lot. If you’ve
ever owned a spaniel, or a spaniel mix, or a dog that was next to a spaniel at
the shelter, then you know what I’m talking about. Spaniels speak with their
bladders. They pee when they’re scared, excited, lonely, anxious, in new
situations, when it’s too wet or cold to go out, when they’re unsure of who to
vote for, or what to wear, when they’re bored, or when they’ve been separated
from you for so long that they can’t stand to be separated for even the additional
length of time it takes to pee outside, properly, like a normal dog would.
The only time spaniels don’t pee is when you take them to the vet to determine if they
have a bladder infection or maybe prostate trouble, so that the vet has to take
them “in back” and catheterize them, thereby making you pay to have your dog
pee, which is the precise behavior you’re asking your vet to help curb in the
first place.
Here are some recent items my dog—now your dog—has peed on: a
backpack, a beanbag chair, the oven, the microwave cart, a basket of kitchen
utensils, shoes, a lunchbox, Grandma’s couch, Grandma’s chair, Grandma’s
brand-new comforter, a futon, a bag of dog food, a bag of cat food, a plastic
container of dog food, the kitchen cabinets, and … you get the picture.
I understand
unconditional love. I love this dog even though he bites me (just a little),
even though he bites my child (just a teeny bit, and only when he steps on
him), even though he bit my husband (once or twice), even though he steals
pizza and runs through the house with it until I have to I stand there and
watch him eat it on my white bedroom rug because he will bite me (hard) if I
try to take it from him. I love him even though he irritates the doggy-heck out
of everyone who comes to the door by jumping all over them, especially the mailman,
who’s convinced that 17-pound Toby would tear him to shreds if he ever broke
free. I love him even though he obsessively licks the furniture and the floor
and, if I let him, my hands and feet. I love him even though he eats his poop. (But not immediately
after that. I’m not a saint.)
I love him
because he loves me. I love him because he cries when we’re reunited after a
long time. I love him because he cocks his head so appealingly when I say
“walkies,” and then jumps in the air like a circus dog. I love him because he
looks at me with such optimism, as if to say, “You’re going to give me that
hamburger today, aren’t you?” even though I never do. I love the way he sleeps
with his legs splayed, like a dissected frog. I love the way the hair between
his ears is mussed, making him look like a newborn baby duck.
But I’ve
discovered that there’s a limit to unconditional love. A condition. And that
condition is inappropriate elimination. Up till the ten-thousandth pee I had
hope. I forgave him, over and over again, through bottle after bottle of enzyme
cleaner. But one day, I woke up and said, “No more, dog. I don’t love you. You
have peed on my feet for the last time. You’re dead to me.” (Maybe that last
line was from a “Sopranos” rerun. I don’t know.)
I’m still nice
to him. I experience bursts of love, which last until the next time he pees on,
say, the toaster. On our annual pilgrimage to Florida, I secretly hoped that
someone would steal him during one of our pit stops, when I hooked him up in
the shade with a fresh bowl of water and danced off to the bathroom, imagining
myself free of the burden of a dog with separation anxiety.
You see, if I
never left the house, and nobody ever came over, Toby would be fine. In fact,
after the initial yearly pee at Grandma’s house (new situation), he was fine. My mom (who is very forgiving)
kept saying what a good dog he was. That’s because nobody came to the door. He
didn’t know the mailman’s schedule. There were no kids playing outside to
torment him. For two weeks, we lived in seclusion. And he loved it.
Except when we
left. Then, the untrustworthy dog would be banished to the lanai, where he had
all of the comforts of home but air conditioning. He had food and water and
shade and a comfy spot to lie. He had a pool to gaze in, or even to take a dip
in, if he chose (he didn’t). He had screens to keep the mosquitoes at bay and
darting lizards to keep his mind occupied. The only thing he didn’t have was
me. And he was miserable. He soon figured out that if he was put outside alone,
it meant we were leaving. He began to be alert to the putting-on of shoes. He
started to fret if I so much as brushed my teeth.
As soon as the
door closed, Toby’s anxiety kicked it. He pawed the glass. He panted, paced and
barked. He jumped on the table, to get a better look at us abandoning him. Of
course, he peed.
What can you do
with a dog like this? We worked one-on-one with a trainer. We took a class,
where Toby spent much of the time hiding behind my legs. We tried Prozac and
Xanax. Nothing helps. Nothing seems to make a dent in his particular brand of
craziness.
So we’re stuck.
My husband tolerates him. My son hates him. I am torn between love and hate (in
fact, they’re tattooed on my knuckles), but mostly I’m just stuck, wishing that
he’d get a tumor in some inoperable place and then feeling awful about it. I’m
evil! Who can look at that little face and have a thought like that? I should
be the one euthanized.
Yesterday, I
watched “The Dog Whisperer.” Cesar, I
thought, please save me! Please bring
your perfect white choppers to my house and transform my naughty dog into a
well-behaved Stepford dog! I thought about putting Toby in an envelope and
mailing him to California. With no return address. But I know it’s always the
owner who’s at fault in bad-dog situations, blah blah blah.
It’s always "blame the victim"! Must have been those provocative shoes I was wearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment