“Still want that job?” she asked, looking mildly perplexed. Did I want the job? Did I not want the job? Why didn’t I call
anybody back?
To be fair, something major came up and, for a while, I
wasn’t sure I could take the job (because I would be living in the back of my
car, and there’s no Internet access there). But once the something major was
resolved, The Call became an insurmountable task. The longer I put it off, the
worse it became. Some days I would pick up the phone, look at the number, and
be unable to force myself to dial. Finally, the editor e-mailed me … and asked
me to call him.
Argh! Why can’t the whole world run itself via text and
e-mail! It’s so much easier! No awkward pauses, no dry mouth, no sweaty pits.
No chance of misspeaking or mumbling or revealing my lisp, which is only
charming on a ringleted five-year old girl.
Yesterday, the editor left me a voicemail message, and I
swore I would call him back. The next day. Today is the next day. My phone just rang. I did not pick up. It could be
him.
My phone problems go way back. When I was a kid—maybe ten or
sixteen—my mom started making me schedule my own hair appointments. This was
agony. I would beg her to make the
call, but to no avail. She was really, really cruel about it! Clearly, this was
supposed to help me get over my phobia, but it only made it worse.
Thank god for the Internet! Thank you, Steve Jobs or Al Gore
or whoever it was who thinks he invented e-mail, so I could talk to way fewer
people than I used to have to. Thank you, Google, for letting me make dinner
reservations online and book airline travel, for letting me look up the hours
of any business in America, the Netherlands or Spain, and schedule service
calls and resolve customer service issues to my (virtual) satisfaction.
Generally, if I’m having a bad phone day, I can make myself
dial if I use speakerphone. If I can imagine the other person is far away, not
trying to bore into my brain, like an earwig in a science fiction movie. Other
times, it helps to talk and focus my eyes far on something far away—out the
window and over the hedges into the blameless blue sky. It’s a dissasociative
technique familiar to abuse victims worldwide. Just me and the Spanish
Inquisition, blocking out the pain.
Recently, I stopped by my dentist’s office to make
appointments for my son and me. I stopped
by. In person.
“I was just passing by,” I explained, “so I thought I’d stop
in.”
Oddly, the receptionist thanked me. Said it was much easier
to schedule the multiple appointments I needed in person than over the phone.
We looked at the doctor’s schedule together on her monitor, and while I was
there, we resolved an insurance issue that had been ongoing. They gave me a
sticker and some dental floss before I left.
It’s not people, you see, but the phone that’s the problem.
I can talk to someone face to face. I’m shy, but chatty. I’m an introverted
extrovert! I would have done extremely well to have lived in the Victoria
Era—minus the corsets, and the inability to vote or wear pants or have an
epidural—due to the practice of visiting and leaving one’s calling card. So
civilized, wouldn’t you say? Much better than yakking away on a handheld device
that’s probably going to give you cancer from radiation. At least I won’t have
to talk on the phone when I’m dead. Unless I go to Hell. There, I’ll probably
be assigned to the reception desk.
I had my cholesterol checked. In March. Sure would like to know what those results are. Too bad I
can’t call!
Or I could, if I
focused on the robin in the back yard, perched on the telephone wire, the sweet
little robin who’s never had to pick up a phone in her life, but who clutches
the wire leading to the phone pole with her unsuspecting yellow feet.
I so Identify with this..... I dislike making (and receiving) phone calls so much. I often find myself rehearsing what I'm going to say before I make myself pick up the phone, which can sometimes range from hours to days, and in many cases I talk myself out of even making the call. Inevitably within the first 15 seconds the conversation goes way south of the way I rehearsed it then I flounder. I thank god that I can order a pizza online and not have to call. ;)
ReplyDeleteMarc, I changed pizza delivery places b/c our old place did not take online orders. Can you imagine!! In 2012....Or 2010, whenever it was. Still. I could NOT be PTSA president if I had to call all my minions. Seriously! I have to tell them all the time stuff--this or that--and if I had to CALL???? Forget it. I can't even think of England. It distracts me because then I really DO think of England (since I've been there) and I start to talk in my nana's British accent, and that causes problems. Love the blog, and you are not alone!!
ReplyDeleteI had that phobia when I was younger, but upon becoming a senior citizen; I just no longer care about anything so trivial. I do, however, think texting is more efficient and quicker. Email is manna from heaven.
ReplyDelete