Perhaps it’s the presence of the friend that has me off
kilter. Playdates—there should be a special place in hell for whoever invented
them. “Hey, why don’t you trap yourself in your house all day with your own kid
and someone else’s. And try not to go
insane!”
Just when you’ve figured out a few things about your own
child, he enters the era of playdates, and you have to figure out all of his
friends. Some of them are picky eaters. (“You’ve never had a cherry?” “You
don’t like pretzels?” “You won’t eat anything green?”) Others, more
irritatingly, want to be fed all the time. (Your son has learned not to expect
food very often, and when he does, his standards are low. Buttered noodles are
haute cuisine. High-fructose corn syrup and Red Dye No. 5 are your frenemies.)
Some children are rude, asking pointed questions about
things that are none of their business, like why your dog is so badly behaved,
or what that funny smell is in the basement. One wants to know why your teeth
are so crooked; another wipes a booger on your front door, where it bakes in
the sun and you can’t get it off for several weeks, because every time you try,
you gag.
Still others want to sit on your bed and watch TV, and the
sight of their dirty socks makes you tremble and shake. They eat Doritos and
touch your couch. One does not seem to be accustomed to benign neglect, and
follows you around the house wanting to know what you’re doing and why it’s
taking so long. Perhaps he thinks the playdate is with you, rather than your son.
Some kids seem to think you come from another planet, a very
distant one, where customs are different from their own. Every question, no
matter how innocuous, will be greeted with a blank stare, as though the poor
child is trying to figure out the right thing to say to prevent the alien
across the table from sprouting tentacles and eating him.
You are not used to these kinds of kids. You are used to
kids who are tiny 40-year olds. Kids who read the jokes in The New Yorker and laugh, even if their interpretation is not the
same as yours. Kids who profess to like the taste of coffee and declare the one
sip of wine they had once was “fruity!” You are used to kids who play
videogames rated “M” for mature (“The blood’s fake, Mom!”) and who read over
your shoulder, pointing out typos.
When a friend recently asked me if I knew anybody who might
want a job teaching at her son’s preschool, I said, “What about me?” It sounded
like a cushy job, a cute job. Toddlers would hug and kiss me, cry when we had to
be parted at the end of the day and they were returned to their mothers, with
whom they’d grown bored. I would never, ever be bitten, vomited on, or pooped
on. Plus, every two weeks, someone would give me an envelope with a couple of bucks
in it. Sweet!
“You have to like
kids,” my friend said drily.
“Oh. And I guess it’s in the morning, huh?” That left me
out.
Still, I was stung. I’d always assumed I was a good mother,
a loving mother. I had a vagina, how could I not be? It’s not that I don’t like
kids; I do! I just like them just fine … from
afar. I like them the way zoo-goers like their lions and tigers and bears—behind
glass. I like them in small numbers, ideally one at a time. As the mother of an
only child, I’m easily overwhelmed when small creatures, no matter how dear,
outnumber me. Bunnies are adorable, but I don’t want them crawling all over me.
Mice are adorable, but put me in a room full of them and I will faint dead away.
If you’re a friend of mine, I’ll forgive your kids for their
little peccadilloes, like correcting me when I say “crap” or when I introduce
topics of discussion they don’t think are appropriate, such as when I point out
“the boobies” on the figurehead of the pirate ship ride at an amusement park.
If I really like
your kids (or you, more accurately), I will suck up to them to try to make them
like me. I will—as with my imaginary preschoolers—hug and kiss them, buy them
presents on their birthdays and at significant milestones. I will “like” their
funny anecdotes on Facebook.
But today, well, I just can’t seem to get my groove on.
Perhaps it’s the rain—thirty straight hours and my neighbors are building an
ark. Or maybe it’s that my husband’s out of town and I haven’t spoken to another adult for more than five minutes, except the woman behind the counter
at the duckpin bowling alley.
Whatever the reason, my heart or my shoes, I think
wine-thirty should start a little early today. Say, right after I take that the
nice little boy home to his mother, who he’s pretty sure is not going to sprout
tentacles and eat him, no matter what he says.
You should write about the old gang that use to come in for coffee at the depot. I'm sure you could tell some stories.
ReplyDelete1) I second your decision about wine-thirty.
ReplyDelete2) Sorry about the booger.
3) Your use of the "v" word means you'll never get to present this in Congress.
"You are not used to these kinds of kids. You are used to kids who are tiny 40-year olds. Kids who read the jokes in The New Yorker and laugh, even if their interpretation is not the same as yours. Kids who profess to like the taste of coffee and declare the one sip of wine they had once was “fruity!” You are used to kids who play videogames rated “M” for mature (“The blood’s fake, Mom!”) and who read over your shoulder, pointing out typos."
ReplyDeleteYES, YES, YES!!! THIS is why Autumn and Ian formed an instant bond several years ago and probably would again. They were out on the swing set discussing particle physics or the differences between reading Elmo and watching him on Sesame Street, I'm sure, while all those other children just....you know....PLAYED. (wtf???)
I think you are hilarious. As much alike as we are, I am the earth mother. Our house was bursting with children. Play dates? Sleepovers? Constants in our life. Perhaps that is why you can't deal with the little boogers now.
ReplyDeleteWhat else to say except I love it!! All said so well and so true- look forward to reading more.
ReplyDelete